Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sometimes there's so much going on it's hard to pick a title...

So much going on and never even nearly enough time (or energy) to deal with it.

August 16..... I've got the date for my surgery at long last.  Almost 4 years of research, 18 months on the waiting list and now everything seems to be going at warp speed. I have my moments of "Oh my Heck" but I think it comes from a healthy respect for the enormous nature of the surgery and the lifestyle change to follow.  I'm all about the label reading now.  Did you know how much sugar there is in a cup of milk???  Even skim milk!!  It's redonculous!  Same with organic, non sweetened apple sauce.  I can have the lite baby bell cheese, sugar free Kozy Shak rice pudding, but not the sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast...(how can it be called sugar free with all that sugar in it????? )  Every time I'm at the grocery store or pharmacy I "window shop" to see what foods I can have just to make sure I don't feel cheated.

I've started a binder.... kind of my surgery bible.  I have all the handouts from the classes, nutritional info, lists of protein powder and supplement options, sample menus for all the various phases and a power of attorney packet.  I guess I feel that the more info I have, the better prepared I shall be.

Of course I'm not the only one going through stuff.  16 is smack in the middle of her finals... and obsessing totally.  She's busy calculating a guesstimate of what her average will be, will it be high enough for her first or second choice university  Meanwhile, she is also convincing herself that she can do her fall back, be a paramedic,  because of all her swim and first aid training.  And the most fun lately has been hearing  how even with all her training she doesn't like to swim, not at all.  Did I mention she teaches swimming to children?  That she has all the certifications needed to be a lifeguard ?  Yes, 16 will always be my contrary child.

And then there is 9...my baby and likely my largest source of worry.  We've recently had one of her meds changed for her ADHD and so far so good.  Poor baby has had a blow to her self esteem due to the weight gain factor of one of her previous pills.  She tries on clothes and they don't fit and we've had to invest  in crop tops for her to wear under all her shirts.  Boobies at 9 yrs of age...I was so NOT prepared for that. I don't think she was either.

She had her year end piano recital, which went off without a hitch, is all signed  up for her summer camps and is now the proud owner of a shiny new pair of CRUTCHES!  A slight mishap on the trampoline has resulted to a fracture in her baby toe and lots of bruising, swelling and inability to bear weight on that foot.  So, needless to say, no soccer today and a rock solid excuse to get her out of most of her chores. The whole time we were at the peds out patient clinic her biggest fear was would she have to get a needle??  It didn't seem to stop her much, she was anxiously counting down until her friend came home across the street.  Had to laugh my ass off though when she stood up at one point in the evening and "forgot" about her crutches...at least until I looked at her as if she was nuts and the pain hit.  Hopefully  once is all it will take, but how exactly do you explain it to a sleep walker??  She is known for sitting up in bed at any given time, having conversations and wandering.  I think that's part of why I sleep so badly; someone has to be conscious to ensure everyone is safe.

Ah well, I'm tired, and tomorrow looks like it's going to be a super busy housework kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment