Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dishpan Hands

Saturday is housecleaning day.  I set 8 onto the task of cleaning her room before her friend came to play.  I offered the option to 16 of either kitchen or bathroom.....she choose bathroom, believing it to be the easier of the tasks.  We just received a recall notice for the electronics controlling the heating element in our dishwasher.  So until the repair, we are back to manual labour of washing dishes, and of course children are notorious for not enjoying manual labour, especially dishes!

And so, I set about the task of washing the dishes that had accumulated, while overseeing 8 as she cleaned her room, one task at a time.  You see, because of the ADHD, 8 must be given her jobs in single items at a time, or else it becomes too big of a hill for her to climb. I'm pleased to report she did a splendid job.

16 is of course still baring a grudge due to her grounding.  I was treated to eye rolls and 'tude most of the day, and then the revelation that she was willing to forgo showers for the week in exchange for the return of her precious straightener! I just stared at her, speechless... and quite grateful that we would not have to endure 16 for a showerless week.

We ordered pizza for supper.....and after an hour and a half it had not arrived.  It took three calls before I had any answers.... was put on hold, was hung up on; I mean seriously-- for a damned pizza??!  I have to seriously wonder why the heck we as people put up with that kind of crap.  McDonald's constantly messes up our order, yet we return.  This isn't the first  time this pizza place has screwed up our order in one way or another, and yet I was surprised at  the delay.  Crazy crazy crazy.

And then of course, there are more dishes...which of course I received no help from 16, who bid me a barely civil goodnight before heading to bed.  But it was I who had the last laugh..... she cleaned the toilet!

No comments:

Post a Comment